1st Place winners receive awards of headless showgirl icon, signed & dated, by Las Vegas local artist Miguel Rodriguez.
2013 Judging Categories & Rules
Judging Criteria and Judges
Have fun, Keep it light. Keep it moving.
Costume contest is not a popularity vote determined by “democratic” vote.
The parade recommends the following criteria be used with the costume contest, Contestants should be judged on
Costume Authenticity (40%), Originality/Humor (40%), Detail (20%)
2013 Judges to be announced
TO ENTER THE HALLOWEEN COSTUME CONTEST
Please use the submission form below.
TO SIGN UP IN PERSON
Before October 30th Sign up @ The Coterie 515 Fremont St Las Vegas, NV 89101
On Halloween Night October 31st Sign up @ 13th Street and Fremont @ Registration table between 4-6pm
The First 50 entries will be picking up a number on site @ registration table night of parade. If someone fails to pick up number by 6:00pm October 31st from registration table, that number will be fortified to next in line.
The contestants line up with their groups on 13th Street and Fremont and wait for their for their category to parade to judging station at the end of the route together.
Contestants gather at their signs at end of route and wait for their category to be called.
Parade costume awards will he handed out at 10:00pm at the main stage where judging took place.
TIMELINE for Thursday October 31st, 2013
4PM-6PM Registration Table Open for Costume Contest pre judging & Large Groups/Car/Band registration @ 13th Street and Fremont East
7PM-The 4th Annual Las Vegas Halloween Parade begins moving West
9PM Costume Parade Winners announced at FREE after event @ Main stage (the parade ends here!)
The contest is based on simple group display, each category’s costumes come out as a group.
- The importance of the judging is solely on costume.
- When your group lines up for the judges our emcee will be talking about the category and everything else going on while you show off your costume in the allotted time in the line up.
- A Contest Staff Member will direct you to continue the parade once your category winner has been decided.
The complete 6 category costume contest is limited to 50 entries, accepted at a first-come, first-entered basis. A waiting list will be created if the contest meets capacity, and if a contestant drops out, the first person on the waiting list will be admitted to the contest to fill the space.
Registration forms will be available at the Coterie until October 30th, 2013- and at the registration table at the beginning of the parade on 13th street and Fremont from 4-6pm and on the website for printing out and bringing to the registration table. Your space is not guaranteed until you have been handed a number in the parade line up, night of the parade.
Each person will be assigned a costume category and will be given a number which they must keep with them. We reserve the right to change their category at any time depending on the types of contestants who register.
Entrants will have filled in form at Coterie, at registration table or on our website then entrants will meet with a pre-judge who will look over costume and ask various pertinent questions (e.g., did you make your costume yourself or
did you purchase it, did you rent it or make it, particular details or construction that stands out, etc.).
Contestant will then will receive category number from pre judge.
Finally, entrant will be given a quick rehearsal where a staff person will explain what is required of entrant, where to line up to continue in the parade and when contest is finished, and about after event.
Contestants must arrive, register, walk in the parade, and show their costume and number to judges for under 30 seconds at the end of the parade route.
Costume Contest Rules1. All contestants must be registered. A real name, address, phone number are required to register. Please see the Costume Contest Timetable above for detailed information regarding pre-judge session times and location.
2. No entries will be accepted after 6:00pm on Thursday, October 31st.(at parade’s discretion)
3. Creativity is required in the presentation of your costume. Nudity, is strictly prohibited. This is a contest that is held on the streets of Las Vegas, all laws of the City of Las Vegas, and the state of Nevada must be followed.
4. Items that could give harm to the contestants, their costumes, the contest and facility staff and the audience is prohibited. Weapons & functional firearms are not permitted at the contest.
5. The Costume Contest Staff reserves the right to disqualify any contestant who does not observe these rules at any time.
6. Special extra stage time requests can be made of the Contest Staff but are not guaranteed. These kinds of request must be made at the time of registration. (contestants have under 30 seconds during the presentation)
7. We are unable to provide a secure area for personal belongings. Contestants are therefore responsible for their personal effects but may bring along an assistant to help with those belongings.
8. Questions about the Costume Contest may be directed to the Costume Contest Coordinator at email@example.com. 9. LVHP Costume Contest is open to anyone, no matter what age you are or where you live. 10. YOUR COSTUME MUST BE 90% HOME MADE to be judged. We are looking for YOUR work and creativity. Costumes purchased or rented or any costumes made for you by a professional designer or seamstress do not qualify. There are exceptions to the “purchased or rented” policy; for instance, if only one or two minor components of the costume were purchased. Exceptions in this case will be at the discretion of the judging team. 11. Costumes must be self-contained. Connections to electrical sockets will not be available. 12. It is an all ages costume contest. Keep it fun and street legal. 13. Judges for the Halloween Costume Contest are not eligible for the Costume Contest. 14. All decisions made by the judges are final and prizes are awarded at the conclusion of the contest at 10:00pm 15. You will need to remain in the parade to be eligible for an award.
Important Legal Information
• The judges shall have the sole authority and discretion to select the winners.
• Minors (those under 13 years of age) must have permission from a legal guardian to participate.
• By registering, all Halloween Costume Contest participants agree to let the LVHP and its photography and video crew to use their images for promotional purposes, both photographs and video.
• Each entrant shall indemnify, defend, and hold the LVHP harmless from any third party claims arising from or related to that entrant’s participation in the contest. In no event shall the LVHP be liable to an entrant for acts or omissions arising out of or related to the contest or that entrant’s participation in the contest